My wife’s family is from Minnesota and she loves a good “hot dish”. Her Tex-Mex twist to hot dish transformed Leftover chicken Green mole from Super Bowl Sunday into a delicious mid-week dinner. The cream cheese element cut the heat to make it a dish for all palates. We used what we had in the fridge and pantry. Enjoy!
9 or 10 corn tortillas
3 cups of the leftover chicken mole
Spreadable cream cheese
2-3 cups cooked rice (also leftover from Super Bowl)
1 can drained and rinsed black beans
One small chopped tomato seeded
3/4 cup soft cheese such as Chihuahua or mozzarella cheese (we used mozzarella)
Shredded or sliced mild cheddar cheese
1. Cut the tortillas in half and lightly schmear cream cheese on one side of the tortillas. Line the tortillas, cheese side up in the bottom of a 13″ x 9″ baking dish that has been greased with butter or olive oil.
2. Layer half the rice and half of the drained black beans next.
3. Next, layer 1 1/2 cups chicken mole
4. Add the whole chopped tomato and the mozzarella (or chihuahua) cheese.
5. Repeat the layering of steps 1, 2 & 3. Next, the last few tortillas were cut into strips and arranged lattice style on top of the second layer of chicken Mole. Finally, the cheddar.
Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes, covered. Uncover and turn on the broiler for a few minutes to melt and brown the cheese.
We served with a side salad, and garnished with sour cream. If we had cilantro tonight, we would have used that too!!